Thursday, February 01, 2007

Staying home with kids, snow and the flu







It's been a while, so thought I'd post a few thoughts. The weatherman/woman...er person...actually got it right. We had snow on the ground when we woke up this morning. Schools closed and on the one morning we could all sleep late, my kids had us up and out of bed before 8:00am. To admire the snow through the storm door. Ugh. Let me sleep, will ya?

But, no. It was starting to rain a bit and even though Lauryn is still a little sick, recovering from what I think is the flu, I permitted her and Will to get all bundled up and go outside to throw snowballs for all of 5 minutes. Then they came back in, dripping with wet and snow, like they'd been out for hours. Oh well, it was worth it. They had a brief moment of fun before the rain turned to sleet and everything started freezing over. They weren't happy about it, but as the mom, I had to make the decision for them.

Sometimes it's hard being the responsible one. I want them to have fun and enjoy the snow, but I don't want them to suffer the consequences for being out there in the cold and the wet. Especially, because I'll have to suffer the consequences with them and be the one up at night taking temps and becoming the medicine monster.

But most of all, I just want to take care of them. I don't want anything to happen to them. I figure that God sometimes has to do this for his children too. He has more wisdom than I do and can see the consequences of my actions even when I can't. I may want to enjoy the moment, a choice that I've made, and yet, God, being the caring Heavenly Father that He is, reins me in and says, "Nope, bad idea. Let's do this, because if you do what you want to do, it's not going to be pretty." Not to mention the fact that I'll be asking him to hel me "clean up the mess."

So, I may grumble a bit about it, but hopefully, I'll obey and bow to his superior wisdom and know that he's making this decision because it's best for me.

Now, tell me how to convince an 8 year old and a 5 year old I only have their best interests at heart when I make them come in from the cold, leaving their snowballs outsied, and you'll be a millionaire!

God Bless!

No comments: