Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Trials of Faith

Two days ago, I got word that we would owe a little over $3,000 to the IRS. $3,231, to be exact. I thought to myself, okay, now I can be depressed.

Then I opened the mail and opened a bill from the hospital and it was for approximately $3,000.

$6,000 worth of bills in the same day. Can you say, “I’m going to be sick?”
Okay, I decided, NOW I can be depressed.

And I fussed and fumed for a while, wondering where in the world we would find $6,000 when we have only a little in checking and only a little more in savings.

After a while, I calmed down and decided that it might be a good idea to pray about it. Duh. I know. So, I did.

Honestly, I didn’t feel a whole lot better, but I knew God heard my prayer and would answer it in whatever way he felt would be best. Hopefully, by allowing us to come up with $6,000. And guess, what? He did. He came through. By using family and common sense. The IRS bill got paid and I set up a payment plan through the hospital.

But the whole situation just made me question, Why? Why is it so hard sometimes? It seems like a struggle all the time. And then I read an entry in James.

“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes scattered among the nations, greetings! Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If anyone lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord – he is a double minded mind, unstable in all his ways. . .
v. 12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

I have to say that our financial situation is often a trial, but I just pray that God will allow me to face it with joy, and when I ask His help, I pray that I will continue to believe in His unending goodness. For He has promised to provide and has come through every time.

So, I don’t think I will be depressed. Instead, I will praise His name in every way. “Blessed be the name of the Lord, Blessed be Your glorious name,” the song says. That’s my praise today. Thank you, Jesus, for your care even in the small things—and keep working on my attitude.

No comments: