Friday, April 15, 2011

Work Ethic and what do you do with it?

Okay, this has nothing really to do with writing, but I'm curious. We (my family) go out to eat quite a bit. Yesterday, we went to my favorite restaurant, had a great waitress, excellent service, the food was out quickly, etc. It was a most enjoyable experience. And I gave a tip that reflected that. I'll also be back to that restaurant probably next week.

But then there's the other restaurant that we like. Only, 95% of our past experiences with this restaurant have been bad. Seriously. So, why do we keep going back? Mainly I think it's because we really do enjoy the food when it's done right. So anyway, when the service is bad, the food is either wrong or cold by the time we get it, or whatever, I don't tip--or I leave a really small one. Now, of course, if I can tell that the server is really trying and it's not his/her fault, I don't scrimp on the tip, but otherwise...

And I get that people have bad days, I mean, I sure do, but aren't we supposed to push past that or at least attempt to cover it up when we're on the job? Aren't we actually supposed to do the job we're being paid for? Some days I don't really feel like writing. Some days, I'd like to say, I'll do it later. And it's nice that I have that option, but I also know that later might bring some kind of crisis. Illness, an unexpected errand, anything can throw off the writing time. So, I don't procrastinate (usually) when it comes to getting in the word count. Isn't that what I'm supposed to do? Because if I'm late, I throw off the whole process of getting the book released on time.

Because if I'm late, I throw off the whole process of getting the book released on time. And that would NOT be good.

Anyway, I'm just curious. When you're working, do you wear your feelings on your sleeve? Do you have a good work ethic or a bad one? And why do you think you have whichever work ethic you have?

Just curious.

Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

No comments: