Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Lyn Cote is my guest today - leave a comment and maybe win a book!


Hi everyone, Lyn Cote is my guest today. I'm so excited she's agreed to answer a few questions so we can get to know her better. Please leave a comment and possibly win a copy of her newest release, Her Captain's Heart.







1. Plug time! Please tell us a little about your latest release and why readers should run out and buy it as soon as it hits the shelves. I’m very excited about Her Captain’s Heart, the first in my “Gabriel Sisters” series, which follows each sister as she tries to help the US heal after the Civil War. Verity Hardy is a Civil War widow and goes to VA to teach at a Freedman’s School. And finds that the Civil War hasn’t really ended in the hearts of the people.

2. If you’re like me, you’re always writing something whether on the computer, in your head, scratch pieces of paper, etc. Where do you get your ideas? What triggers a story idea for you? I always start with setting and a time period. I like to watch my characters “brave the storms of history.” In my own life, I survived the assassination of JFK, Watergate, the Cold War, Vietnam War, two Gulf Wars, recessions, 9/11 and what we’re experiencing now. History impacts every life. And often pushes us and my characters to our limit of bravery, endurance and phileo or brotherly love. I also focus on women who were what I call “passionate participants of their times.” Women who took the Great Commission and the Golden Rule to heart and then tried to take them into the world.

3. In your opinion, what’s the toughest thing you find about writing? The easiest? The hardest is trying to choose and arrange words so that what I am seeing, hearing, touching in my mind go down on the page so that a reader GETS it all. The easiest is coming up with a new story “bud.”

4. When did you start writing for publication and what did people say when they found out? I had kept it pretty quiet. Some people were thrilled; others were tart. I took both with salt. God gave me a gift and as long as He’s happy, I am.

5. How long did it take you to get published? 1984 to 1997

6. How do you choose your settings for each book? I look for an area that experienced “exciting” history. Usually that means a lot of turmoil and conflict and change—not comfortable periods.

7. What would you be doing with all the time you spend writing if you weren’t writing? I’d keep my house clean! And make gourmet meals. And lose weight. And take up ballet. Ah, strike that last one.

8. Where’s your favorite place to write? On the front porch overlooking the lake in the summers; in the winters, in my recliner looking out at the snowy pines and frozen lake.

9. How do you make time for God in the craziness of life? My dh and I use Our Daily Bread devotional and I have a special prayer journal and a book “Praying God’s Will for My Daughter.” I read a page a day of scriptures about God’s promises for my son and daughter (I make the book work for both.) and then pray for them, their future mates and children.

10. Tell us a little about your family. My dh and I have been married 34 years and raised two children. We are grateful that “our anchor” has held. I call him my real life hero. And he is!

11. Who are your favorite authors? Georgette Heyer’s class Regency romances, Phyllis Whitney, Mary Stewart, Francine Rivers, Kathy Herman’s mysteries, Sharon Dunn’s funny mysteries and Sandra Byrd’s chicklit.

12. What’s next for you in the world of publishing? In February 2009, the first book in my Texas Star of Destiny series The Desires of Her Heart will debut. I did a lot of research on Texas history 1821-1847 and was amazed at the changes and unbelievable true stories that took place there. I often say that I use authentic history in my stories because what actually happened can often be more wild or interesting than anything I could make up!

13. What do you hope people take away from when they finish reading your book? Hope and love for others.

14. How many books have you written? List them for us so we can be sure to find them in the bookstore or online!  Well, why don’t you just drop by my website and click Lyn’s Books. Her Captain’s Heart is #25.

15. What advice do you have for a beginning author? Again, drop by my website. I have a page about Christian Publishers and advice.

16. Any parting comments? Please drop by www.LynCote.net and see what I have for readers, who are some of my favorite people!

15 comments:

Pamela Tracy said...

I loved #7 the most. If I didn't write, my house would be clean, too. And, I'd cook more and better. And, I'd go to the gym. I've never thought about ballet dancing, but bellydancing kinda appeals. I have enough belly.
Great interview!

Jo said...

Enjoyed reading the interview and learning a bit more about Lyn. Please enter me in the drawing. I love reading books that go back in time.

Jo
ladijo40(at)aol(dot)com

Renee Ryan said...

Wow, what a great interview, Lyn. 25 books??? You are amazing. I just picked up Her Captain's Heart and can't wait to read it. I love the premise of your heroine discovering that the Civil War isn't "over yet". I'm going to get started on this one tonight!

~Renee~

DebbieLynneCostello said...

25 books! What an accomplishment. I had to smile when I read you pray for your children's future mates. So do I. And it has paid off on the first. He is a doll and fits right in. Can't wait to read your book. Just finished my crit partner's civil war Ms. So I'm in the mood.

Linda Ford said...

Lyn,
Great interview. You've been such an encouragement to me with you grasp of the industry.

Linda F

Pamela J said...

What a grand way to look at what you are doing, to focus on: "God gave me a gift and as long as He’s happy, I am", since we are here to please him uppermost and not those around us. We all know we wouldn't be able to please anyone anyway. Right?
I've never read a book by Lyn, please enter me in your drawing. Thanks.
Pam Williams
cepjwms at yahoo dot com

Becky C. said...

This was a very interesting interview, and I love the sound of the book, as I love history!

Please enter me in the contest.

Thank you,

Becky C.

rec(at)hiwaay(dot)net

Shelley Shepard Gray said...

Hi Lyn!
I picked up Her Captain's Heart today at WalMart just as they were unboxing it! I can't wait to read it.
I always love to hear about your home...writing while looking at the beautiful woods sounds wonderful!

Shelley

Jessica Nelson said...

I enjoyed learning more about you. Very interesting. I like that you use the less than comfortable times for settings.
Your front porch sounds amazing.

jessica_nelson7590ATyahooDOTcom

Pat Jeanne Davis said...

I enjoyed this interview with Lyn and learning more about her. I was encouraged to read that it took her 13 yrs. before she was published. I love history, too. Please enter me in the contest for Her Captain's Heart.

Ausjenny said...

I love historical fiction and glad LI has this line. I love the cover of this book it looks so good.
If an aussie can enter I would love to win this book.

donna said...

this is the second time this week i have read about Georgette Heyer!
I'll need to check her out!
http://rebornbutterfly.wordpress.com

Lindsey said...

Oh, Mary Stewart is one of my favorite authors, too! I don't hear people say that much... :-)

Thanks for the interview, I totally enjoyed it!

Lindsey
ladyufshalott at yahoo.com

Lynette Eason said...

Becky C is the winner of Lyn's book! yay, and congratulations!

Lyn Cote said...

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Sorry to be tardy in replying.
But I had an unexpected surgery 3 days before Christmas.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
Lyn